Thursday, October 26, 2017

Google+ PLN Challenge

For my PLN challenge I chose to explore Google+.  I already had an account previously but had not really used it up to this point.  To become more active with my Google+ account I joined the following communities: Art & Design, Art Education, Connected Classrooms Workshop, GEG Tip-State MN, WI, and IA, and WI DPI Art Educators.

I began by looking at each community to see what resources they had.  The Art & Design community mainly consisted of artwork posted by other members.  Although there was some amazing artwork and some cool Halloween makeup ideas, this community wasn't as beneficial to education.  I found that the best resource was the WI DPI Art Educators community.  Teachers were sharing ideas, local exhibits, art events and competitions around the state, and responded with answers and resources much quicker.  I also found some great videos that I will be able to use with my elementary students.

I think the biggest benefit during this challenge was a question I posted about starting stop motion animation with my elementary students.  I had numerous comments within a day or two with some great feedback including a WAEA presentation with links to sources.  Many of them were also interested in hearing how this project goes with the upper elementary grade levels.

Overall, this has been a positive experience and I can really see the benefits of collaborating with Google+.  I think Google+ is a great way to connect to my Wisconsin art education colleagues to share resources and learn from one another.  I will definitely continue to take advantage of this resource.

5 comments:

  1. Most of the posts I see have been by elementary teachers, but I have seen high school and specialist teachers post in G+ Communities as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear you had a positive experience with Google+ Josh and were able to get some recommendations for some useful resources. People are really pretty good about sharing ideas and resources with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that you also had more responses from a local community. Maybe it was the topic? I'd keep trying with national communities with other questions/topics you're interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like Google+ is definitely beneficial for resources for a core subject area such as Art. It is especially helpful for you since you are sort of on your own in our building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It worked well the WI DPI community. I had 7 responses within a few days. The other communities didn't' seem as active in my subject area.

    ReplyDelete