I chose Twitter for the PLN challenge. I have a facebook account and a Pinterest account so I thought I would give Twitter a try. When I first made an account, I started following things that I use frequently in class such as IXL, gonoodle, xtramath, flexible seating, daily 5, kahoot. I also found a couple authors to follow. I made it a point not to follow any celebrities because I didn't want to become addicted and I wanted it to be strictly for my classroom. My son thought I should follow President Trump just to see what he is always tweeting about but I chose not to because I didn't want to get annoyed right away.
I was on it for 2 weeks checking it nightly but only tweeted 8 times. I completed 6 of the 7 steps on the #7dayPASDchallenge. I shared my favorite website, book to share, a picture of my day, a tool that we used in class, retweeted another's post and an eduwin for the day. I never gave a shout out to follow another person because frankly I was not really finding anyone that I really wanted to follow.
I found it hard to locate valuable information. I use facebook to keep in touch with my family because everyone lives far away and that is how they can see what my kids are up to. I use Pinterest to locate neat ideas for my classroom and recipes to try and things to do and make with my kids. My next go to site for classroom ideas is TeachersPayTeachers. I was glad to give it a try to see what all the hashtags are all about but I think I will stick with my other sites for now.
Sorry you didn't have the experience you were hoping for Jennifer. Yay for trying something new! Just like in class when you try something out, sometimes it goes great and other times it's a bust.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious if anyone responded to any of your posts/tweets? It doesn't sound like you found a lot of value in the use of Twitter up to this point. However, I too am wondering if you'd recommend Teachers Pay Teachers?
ReplyDeleteFor elementary, yes it does. It has simple worksheets and activities of things that I would be making up on my own to use in centers and Daily 5 rotations. So instead of spending my time to create it, I can just quickly download it. I think there are even more beneficial things on Teacherspayteachers but they cost money. I seldom purchase anything. I mostly stick with the free stuff. I have never looked at the middle school or high school section on there, so I am not sure if it would be helpful for you.
ReplyDeleteGary -
ReplyDeleteI did not have anyone respond to my tweets. But I also did not choose to "follow" anyone that I really know. I wanted it to be strictly for the classroom.
I have never used twitter before and don't totally understand what it is all about. From reading about your experiences it seems more for news and entertainment than a place to collaborate with other professionals. Has anyone had a positive experience using it for this purpose?
ReplyDelete