Tuesday, November 1, 2016

PLN Challenge

I used Twitter for my PLN challenge. I was hesitant because I had twitter in college and was embarrassed about what I might have tweeted a few years ago and I thought of it as something that no one really reads.  I searched #schoolcounselor right away and found a tweet by ASCA (American School Counseling Association), which is where my standards and ethics come from. On their page I found #scchat, which is a school counselor chat.  Someone from there had just tweeted about the chat so I found another school counselor through them as well.

I read the #scchat and it had some good resources as well as school counselors asking questions that I had as well. The best thing I got out of it was articles about mindfulness. This helped me because I try to incorporate mindfulness into my 7th grade explore class and want to expand that to starting it in 5th grade.


I am glad that I ended up using Twitter because it took me by surprise as I actually found valuable resources. I normally use Pinterest for in-classroom ideas and find fun lessons that I just need to tweak for my students.  I found that Twitter was helpful for other aspects of counseling.  Other counselors post articles that interest me and are related to what I'm doing in our school and even inspirational quotes (I LOVE inspirational quotes). I still find it difficult to tweet.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am glad that you found something out of resurrecting your Twitter account! I think you found one of the goals that we wanted you to find that each tool has it's own purpose. Pinterest is great for inspiration but I feel that I get more interaction with Twitter.

    ReplyDelete